What is talcum powder?
Talcum powder is made from talc, a mineral made up mainly of the elements magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. As a powder, it absorbs moisture well and helps cut down on friction, making it useful for keeping skin dry and helping to prevent rashes. It is widely used in cosmetic products such as baby powder and adult body and facial powders, as well as in a number of other consumer products.
In its natural form, some talc contains asbestos, a substance known to cause cancers in and around the lungs when inhaled (see our document Asbestos). All talcum products used in homes in the United States have been asbestos-free since the 1970s.
Talcum powder is widely used in various industries
1. Talcum used in plastic processing
2. Talcum used in ceramics production
3. Talcum used in paints production
4. Talcum used in paper making
5. Talcum powder used in cosmetics, in pharmaceutical ...